Over 17 years in academic librarianship focused on outreach and education, with a background in science and the environment.
I’m an experienced educator, researcher, and manager. I have spent the last 17 years as an academic research and instruction librarian working primarily with earth and environmental sciences. The last 9 years I worked in library administration and supervised both student workers and professional librarians.
My passion is in connecting people with the information they need to move forward and take action. I excel in taking complex ideas and processes and breaking them down to provide people with information that is understandable and actionable, without talking down to them.
I am currently in the Climate Literacy Certificate program at Hamline University and am looking to shift my career to focus on public education and outreach around climate change and sustainability.
I have experience in research, public speaking, web content development, outreach, collaboration with internal and external partners, and teaching, both formally and informally.
Web Content Creation
Associate Director of Research & Outreach at University of St. Thomas Libraries
(2017 – 2021)
- Participated in the management of day-to-day operations and strategic planning for the library system. Provided leadership in professional development, outreach to the university community, and service priorities.
- Supervised six Research & Instruction librarians and led the library liaison program which connected librarians with academic departments in the University.
- Developed and led workshops and presentations for faculty.
- Led the implementation of a new curricular requirement of information and research literacy. This involved working closely with librarians, faculty, and administration to develop pedagogical and assessment plans across multiple disciplines and levels of classes.
- Developed and maintained relationships between the University Libraries and other organizations. Partnerships included: Campus Sustainability Office; Civic Engagement, Voter Education, and Advocacy task force; Center for Well-Being; Neighborhood Relations; and Center for Faculty Development..
- Led the External Communications Committee. Wrote blog posts, newsletters, and social media posts about the library for the St. Thomas community. Developed and maintained web pages to connect the community with information resources, particularly around relevant topics and events.
- Developed and coordinated library events, including: speaker events, tabling, exhibits, and other activities for a variety of audiences including students, faculty, staff, and local community members
- Developed and taught library instruction sessions and provided research help to students and faculty in the Environmental Studies, Sustainability, Geology, and Geography departments.
Head of Reference & Instruction at Carleton College Library
(2011 – 2017)
- Supervised staff of seven Reference & Instruction Librarians to provide excellent library service to the Carleton community. Provide leadership to the department is discussions around service priorities, outreach activities, professional development and collection development.
- Co-chair of the campus Curricular and Research Support group that coordinates support services by departments across the campus (including information technology, writing center, academic support center, web services, and others) and helps facilitate professional development activities.
- Member of the Outreach committee which coordinates outreach activities at the library and social media outreach through Facebook and Instagram.
Reference & Instruction Librarian for the Sciences at Carleton College Library
(2004 – 2011)
- Liaison to Geology, Computer Science, Physics & Astronomy, and Psychology. Worked closely with faculty in those departments to provide library instruction tailored to their course learning objectives and assignments.
- In collaboration with librarians, faculty, and instructional designers, developed workshops and presentations for faculty and staff on incorporating library research and practices into assignments and course development.
Customer Support Supervisor and Software Developer at Retek Information Systems
(1997 – 204)
- Supervised the DBA and Web Developer for the Customer Support department to provide infrastructure support for the department.
- Maintained the internal website for the Customer Support department, including a knowledge base of questions and information about the Retek software products. Created on-demand reports on customer issues and our adherence to service level agreements.
- Developed and taught programming classes for in-house developers and clients.
- Designed, coded, tested, and documented functional changes and fixes to bugs for Retek software.